As the changing winds bring in a cooler September, it is important to reflect on some of the dramatic changes that have and are occurring around us, in our world, our archdiocese and our school. With our new Holy Father, Pope Francis I, and our new Archbishop Tobin, we are experiencing a new vision in our Church, both across the world an in our own archdiocese. Also, the leadership team at the Office of Catholic Education includes our new Superintendent, Gina Fleming and Assistant Superintendent, Mary McCoy. The first weeks of school have gone well and we look forward to the rest of year with great expectations and much anticipation. Everyone has really pitched in to help welcome our many new families and to begin the school year with the balanced calendar/early opening.
Here are some quick FAQs on the first month of the 2013-14 year:
- Enrollment – K-8 = 361, Pre3-5 = 47, total 408, up slightly despite large graduating class of 46
- New students from 9 different schools
- New Staff Members – Sarah Green, 7-8th Science; Amanda McGary, Music; Jennifer Kannapel, Pre-school Assistant and Librarian; reassigned Nacera Buckler to K-2 World Languages (Amy Clere reduced class load)
- 22 Vouchers and 20 SGO Scholarships
- Summer projects included:
- Renovation of computer lab and additional carpeting installed
- Completion of WIFI installation
- Addition of laptop cart for upstairs and laptops/iPads for teachers
- Enlarging Mrs. Koots’ pre-school classroom
- Purchase/Installation of 4 air conditioners for 7A, 8A, Art/WL and Music rooms
- New online Registration and streamlined Orientation process
- Completion of data entry for MSP and new parent portal
- Staffing note: We are currently accepting applications for a school secretary, as Mrs. Pauline McCullum has accepted a new position in a local law firm. She will continue to be an HFS Mom, and we are grateful for her service to Holy Family!
- ISTEP+ Reports came out last week – all parents should be able to access your 4-8th graders’ scores through the Inparentnetwork. School-wide our students did very well again this year!
Several upcoming events mark the late-September calendar! This Thursday, we celebrate fun, fitness and fundraising at our annual Rock-a-thon! Parent volunteers, teachers and students all gather in the gym for a Pep Rally honoring all Fall athletics and extra-curricular activities. Later, we’ll head outside as the K-2 enjoy the bounce houses and on-campus walk, while the older students walk the neighborhood and to the cemetery. Thanks to all our parents who will be volunteering that day! Note: Please send in your Walkathon Collection Envelope this week. Additional events include:
- September 20 – no school for students, as teachers will meet for in-service training.
- September 22 – 8th graders and family are invited to 10:30 Sunday Mass for a special blessing
- September 23-27 – 8th graders travel to Washington, DC for our annual tour of the nation’s capital as well as historic Williamsburg and Jamestown.
- September 23 – 7th graders go to Mt. St. Francis for their annual retreat experience.
- September 26-27 – 5th graders travel to CYO Camp for team building and lessons from nature.
Have a safe and blessed week! Jerry